How Our Church Was Named
Churches named for women are rare. Virginia Wingard Memorial United Methodist Church is a memorial to a noble, loving and caring woman. Her life was an inspiration to those who knew of her deep faith and love for God.
In the Columbia community, Mrs. Virginia Wingard was a servant to humanity. She became known as an Ambassador of Good Will, visiting the sick of all faiths in the hospitals and homes.
A member of Main Street Methodist Church, Mrs. Virginia Wingard was admired by the entire congregation for her dedicated service to her church and her love for people. She shared the needs of others with unbounded generosity. In keeping with her beautiful spirit, she was visiting the sick in hospitals when she herself became ill. She slipped quietly into a hospital bed, where she died on January 26, 1953.
So great was the impact of her life, that shortly after her death, the congregation of Main Street Methodist Church endeavored to establish a living memorial in her name. Many ideas were discussed. However, when it was determined there was a need for a new church in the fast-growing St. Andrews area. It seemed to be the perfect tribute to this gracious lady. With the sponsorship of Main Street Methodist Church and the dedication and prayers of the twenty-two original organizers, Virginia Wingard Memorial Methodist Church was created to honor this godly woman and to glorify the God she loved so deeply.
Reverend James M. Varner……..1954-58
Reverend D. Layton Gregory……1958-63
Reverend W. Paul Smith……….1963-69
Reverend Robert James………..1968-74
Reverend William C. Stackhouse..1974-77
Reverend Eugene C. Holmes…….1977-79
Reverend Frank J. Griffith, Jr..1980-90
Reverend James S. Gadsden, Sr. .1990-93
Reverend Richard E. Allen, Jr. .1993-2000
Reverend W. Robert Borom……..2000-2005
Reverend John Wesley Culp…….2005-2014
Reverend Scott W. Smoak………2014-present
Virginia Wingard Memorial UMC is proud of a past filled with faith and looks forward to a future filled with hope as we continue to do God’s work in God’s place.